Photos I don't want to see on your dating profile:
- Your guns (weapons)--I can appreciate guns. I will even go to a shooting range with you (once I determine that you're not some psycho who's going to kill me). Heck, the fact that you have a gun is a good sign you're normal (ironic I know, but you can't get license for a gun if you have a criminal record), but I don't want to see pictures of you with an automatic weapon in hand.
- Your guns (muscles)--I'm glad you work out. If your muscles are so impressive that you have to show them off, then I should be able to see them in pictures of you wearing normal clothes. If they're not impressive enough to see under clothes, why are you showing them off?
- Alcohol--One picture out at a bar holding a beer is acceptable, but please have have a decent picture without a drink in your hand. If you're kissing a bottle of booze in one of your pictures, you've got issues. If you're kissing a bottle of booze in a liquor store, I will only repond so that I can provide you with some social resources for your alcoholism (see Social Resources tab above for links).
- Outdated pictures--I don't care how great your senior high school portrait was or how hot you looked in that college football uniform. If your pictures are more than a few years old or you live for those quarterback glory days, move along.
- Professional photos--Even if the photoshoot you posted wasn't for the purposes of an online dating profile, I'm going to think it was...and I'm going to wonder what kind of person you are. The exception stands with models (why are you online dating anyway?) and young professionals (like lawyers) who use their law firm profile photo...but still, do you not have any other decent pictures? Along these lines is posting pictures wearing the same outfit--If you're wearing the same clothes in every picture on your profile, move along. It's obvious you had one "hot" day and made a friend take pictures of you in a few different settings for effect.
- Offensive things you think are funny--While you may think that your Halloween picture dressed as a Sheik slitting the throat of an Rabbi is funny, I can assure you that it's not. There are ways to show your sense of humor without offending people...and if you can't then you're just an ass.
- Action shots--I'm glad you play golf, football and hike, but pictures of you as a tiny speck on a mountain or your contorted and/or blurry body playing sport don't impress me. Hunting pictures (common in the Southern states) are a no-no for me too. I like men who hunt. I think it's sexy. But I don't want to see you posing with a dead 8-point buck.
- Selfies, mirror shots, and web cam photos--There's a whole website dedicated to the mirror shots (here) so I won't even touch those. Please, leave your house, meet up with a friend and have them take some pictures of you...just don't wear the same outfit in each one (mentioned in Number 5 on this list) or be participating in some sport where I can't see your face (Number 7 on this list).
- Exes and/or rings and/or kids--We all have exes, some of us were even married. I don't care how tan or hot you looked at the time, no one wants a pic of you on your honeymoon with your wedding band on and your ex cropped out. If you're a single dad, I'm sure you love your kids, but you're not doing yourself any favors by posting their cute pictures on your dating profile. I have strong feelings on personal privacy and you're violating them. Pimping out your offspring for a date does not highlight your parenting skills.
- Pictures of objects--No pictures of cars, houses, boats or pets. None of these things show me who you are, unless you're materialistic or look like your dog. A man who recently emailed me had a screen shot photo of a MyPeriod app--apparently he ovulated on February 24th...and March 2nd. Fertile guy.
Actual screen shot from his POF profile